For the longest time, professional athletes have been the subject of issues surrounding illegal substances and “banned” supplements, with some of them losing medals when their blood test results showed positive for banned substances.
According to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), there are almost 300 banned substances, some of which are in popular gym supplements. Most of them are testosterone replacers, fat burners, and growth hormones.
For sports, WADA has banned the following ingredients and drugs:
- Fonturacetam , [4-phenylpiracetam (carphedon)];
- 3-methylhexan-2-amine (1,2-dimethylpentylamine)
- 4-methylhexan-2-amine (methylhexaneamine)
- 4-methylpentan-2-amine (1,3-dimethylbutylamine)
- 5-methylhexan-2-amine (1,4-dimethylpentylamine)
- Cathinone , and its analogues, e.g. mephedrone, methedrone, and α-pyrrolidinovalerophenone;
- Dimetamfetamine (dimethylamphetamine)
- Epinephrine**** (adrenaline)
- Hydroxyamfetamine (parahydroxyamphetamine)
- Oxilofrine (methylsynephrine)
- Phenethylamine , and its derivatives;
- Tenamfetamine (methylenedioxyamphetamine)
- Diamorphine (heroin)
- Fentanyl , and its derivatives;
- Natural cannabinoids, e.g. cannabis, hashish and marijuana,
- Synthetic cannabinoids e.g. D9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other cannabimimetics.
Different kinds of Beta Blockers in general are also prohibited in specific sports. These include:
With a vast array of banned substances, you have to make sure you do your due diligence when it comes to checking if your supplement is certified for sport. That’s actually harder than it sounds and can take a lot of time when out buying supplements. Thankfully, one organization is paid to let athletes know whether a supplement is certified for sport or not. This organization is the NSF. Be sure to check your supplement labels for the NSF Certification for Sport Stamp of Approval.
Looking for products that meet this requirement? Click here.
World Anti-Doping Agency. World Anti-Doping Agency. https://www.wada-ama.org. Published 2019. Accessed September 11, 2019.